Monday 30 May 2016

Save A File Opened in VI As The Wrong User

This happens to me all the time. I login as a normal user and start editing a file using vim. After editing is done, when I try to save the file, I don't have enough permission to save the file. I have to close the file, login as root and start editing again. Below is the given error in vim:

Try the below command
:w !sudo tee %
Explanation
  • :w – write
  • !sudo – call shell sudo command
  • tee – the output of write (:w) command is redirected using tee
  • % – current file name


stackoverflow.com/questions/28635647/how-can-i-save-a-file-i-opened-in-vim-as-the-wrong-user
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
For the past 10 years, I've been playing with codes using PHP, Java, Rails. I do this for a living and love new things to learn and the challenges that comes with it. Besides programming I love spending time with friends and family and can often be found together catching the latest movie or planning a trip to someplace I've never been before.